Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Ariyana: So I'm finally in Japan!

I should have posted earlier...now I'm just overwhelmed by the thought of posting events from 2-3 weeks ago, so I'll just bullet main events/thoughts of the week and put up pictures. Easy for everyone and if you want you can just look at the pictures...:

Week 1:
  • 10-14 hour plane ride, why doesn't Dallas airport have any clocks, WHAT KIND OF AIRPORT DOESN'T HAVE CLOCKS!? I unecessarily sprinted to my gate. Also sat next to a man who looked like Sigmund Freud who studied Go moves during the flight and zealously ate the airline food.
  • International Coordinator Hisano san is very nice to put with us and drive us around and still have to pick up his daughter....btw her name is Sarang and she's adorable.
  • It's the hot, muggy country side, but everyone is still fashionable and walk around in layers of clothing and heels. I don't know how, but no one sweats.
  • Everything is my height, YAY~ and my apartment is marked by a flag with a happy man on it!!!
  • Somehow made it to and back from Kyoto with the international gang with a little set of directions, a month of Japanese lessons/years of Japanese dramas, and a whole lot of balls (Joyce's, who would go up to people asking questions, while I provided meager vocab.
  • Phrase I use all the time: Toiletto wa Doko??????
  • Went to Nanba, lots of food, Host club advertisement, and all the colors almost blinded me
  • 2 cafeterias, 1 cafe, 1 chinese restaurant, 1 convenience store, 1 bakery, 20 buildings, WHAT KIND OF SCHOOL IS THIS!?!?!?!?
Week 2:
  • I now know how the ESOL kids in my school felt like. The Korean international students must scoff at our pathetic Japanese level.
  • I'm back in highschool, where should I sit at for lunch, will anyone be my new friend, does my outfit look okay....?
  • Crashing other people's classes and falling asleep in the back, just trying to fit in.
  • Printmaking department welcoming party. Making takuyaki and trying to memorize everyone's names....
  • The clubs share this clubhouse, which are basically grouty cement storage houses full of stuff and dedicated members. It's so AWESOME!
  • Festival where all the clubs showcase their skills and recruit, traditional Archery Club, Traditional Dance, Anime club, Juggling Club, Power Ranger Club, Tennis, Baseball, and it goes on forever....In the morning I ended up on stage grabbed by a shirtless man into a circle of people screaming in some traditional celebration dance, at night I ended up under a bridge attempting to pop and lock with the Dance club.....I don't know how either happened. And I have no pictures, thank god.
Week 3:
  • One of my teachers is a ninja. Literally.
  • I now speak a cross between bad English and bad Japanese. I was explaining photoshop to some new friends in English, Joyce translated into korean, and Rin ( korean international student) translated in Japanese to Asa ( fellow classmate).
This week's not over, but too lazy to put anything else up now. btw sorry if the pictures are too big, too lazy to put them on flikr first.

6 comments:

  1. my fave picture is the one of the kids in box costumes. cooooooooooooool

    ReplyDelete
  2. vocaloid cosplayers LOL

    omg... you guys made takoyaki ;___; yumm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ana, I'll post my trip in Osaka on Facebook soon... Osaka is really nice indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes for three-way translations! Japan sounds awesome! Ah, I've been so bad at posting... I'll fix that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT!!!! are you going to be a ninja toooo??!!!! ask for tutoring ;)

    SO happy for you, have a blast!!! MIss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg its just like in mangas! With the clubs and the festivals!! Soo cool! ^_^

    ReplyDelete