Sunday, January 25, 2009

Animations Yay!!

Production is well underway on the third year films here at AIB, and I've been working with two different teams producing animation and tests for their films. At AIB, the third years work on their final films with a team made up of other animation students: a core group of fellow third years, as well as second and first years to round out the production. Together, they make a complete film that will be shown at graduation and also in the various festivals that AIB participates in.

The first film I signed on to was Sol, which compares the Greek myth of Phaeton with the Apollo moon missions. It's a very pretty film, and I'm excited to see how the final product looks with its impressive background paintings and elegant ancient style. I animated two constellations - Gemini and Aquarius - who will be watching Phaeton's chariot as it races through the sky. The animation needed to be very slow and elegant, bringing across the massive size of these celestial figures. That means there were many similar, anatomical drawings that I had to do.





The second film is Risk, about a chess king who gets dropped into a game of Risk. It's a completely different world, one where four armies are all poised to clash right where he's standing. Will he make it back to the world of black-and-white safely?? This film looked entertaining and fun to draw. It has dynamic action, and strong characters. Whereas Sol feels like a moving illustration, animating on Risk is like creating a cartoon. Between the two, I'm getting a great range of animation practice.





AIB and MICA work as a great team; where MICA lacks, AIB excels, and vice versa. I'm glad I chose to come to this school, which is even greater than I had thought at first! I only wish I could stay for the next term as well, to see the films to completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment