Saturday, January 17, 2009

I like how my first post was entitled "Emma Rochon"...

Almost at entire week 2! The first week of classes is over and I've switched one of my classes several times. When I got here, SACI surprised us with about 284 arbitrary mandatory Itallian state government/SACI related fees which was frustrating considering what the rates for dollar to euro are right now. But I decided to avoid a big studio fee for the screen printing class and switched into a creative writing workshop and then finally settled into Renaissance Literature which looks awesome! The bad side is I won't learn screen printing in a classroom environment. The good side is I can still use their facilities for the MICA independent honors studio (with Noel teaching me) and the only real studio course I have is that independent one! What a nice contrast to the vortex of pain last semester!

Conservation is freaking awesome too! In Painting Conservation we're making practice boards which show us all the steps used in making a wood panel. We made our own gesso with rabbit skin glue and whiting gypsum and on Tuesday we'll sand it down to a fine flat surface and begin re-creating a Bysantine looking painting on it. I'll scan it and put it up when we're finished but I have no work to show for myself yet... because I'm lame.... but I will have a comic for Illustrophillia! If only I could get my hands on a scanner. I've been told there are ones in the design building so that will be my adventure tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. that sounds awesome, i look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how your first post was titled Emma Rochon too. LOL. Reading the follow-up title only enhances it. Anyyyway...glad you made it to Italy safely, albeit apparently in exchange for all of your luggage. Don't OD on gelato.

    Connie

    ReplyDelete